Forum

Skip to forum content

Herps of Arkansas: Forum

Discussions of Reptiles and Amphibians

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Images Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

The fall/winter breeding salamanders are already going or gone: Marbled Salamander, Small-mouthed Salamander, Four-toed Salamander, etc.  So, appropriate breeding sites should have larvae at least.  Spotted Salamanders, which are very common, should be breeding soon.  Still a little early for most frog breeding, but any rains upcoming could spark activity: Spring Peepers, Chorus Frogs, Leopard Frogs, etc.  Most of these mentioned will breed in ditches and puddles and temporally flooded areas.  You probably won't have as much success this time of year in larger lake water or moving streams.  If you do search the lake, probably shallower backwater.  If you can listen on rainy nights, the frogs calling will lead you to the ideal breeding grounds.

As the season warms up, you'll likely have more options with frogs, but fewer with salamanders.  Spring and summer breeding frogs may definitely breed within aquatic vegetation along the edges of lakes, particularly during rainy nights.

The Little Rock area could potentially have venomous snakes, particularly Cottonmouth, so please show appropriate caution with your youngsters.

Good luck and report back what you find!

I help run an Outdoor Preschool at Lake Nixon in Pulaski County. Most of my outdoor experience has been in the Western U.S., and except for finding tadpoles with my own children, by chance, at Allsopp Park in Little Rock, my knowledge of the timing of finding frog and salamander spawn is very limited. Can anyone tell me what/when to look for these baby critters or spawn? We have a healthy creek on the property and in the summertime, the place is overrun with frogs and salamanders. I want to begin searching for these guys right now with our preschoolers. Any tips?

Currently installed 3 official extensions. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.