Topic: State park surveys

The interpreter (Keith Bell) at Cossatot River state park recently contacted me and requested that the Herp society preform a survey on their park. I also know that the interpreter at Lake Fort Smith has asked that we survey their park as well. Keith told me we could come out whenever we wanted and he would provide free camping in their primitive area next to the river.  Would anyone one else be interested in a June trip? If the weather is not too hot and dry I thought we might could have a early summer trip to one park and then go to the other one for the fall trip. Let me know what y'all think.

Tobin

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land".-Aldo Leopold

Re: State park surveys

Would love to but, I'm heading to S/W Texas for Snake Days 2012 in June!

Ever wonder why conservatives are called the right and liberals are called the left?

Ecclesiates 10:2

Sounds like fun. Im new to this grp but I'm looking forward to the April trip

It should be a productive trip, we are always glad to have new members join us on our outings. What part of the state are you from?

Tobin

I'm over in Jacksonville, So central.

i have personally seen red milks, eastern hognoses, western rats, rough greens and broad-headed skinks at cossatot falls state park.  should be fun.

Another option is to go to one park in the fall and the other one next spring.

That sounds like a good idea.

Would love to have a survey here at the station in Polk county.  I only record herps I encounter daily during work.  Experienced herpers should do much better at documenting species I have not seen!  Jo-Ann

What kind of station is it? Just curious.  smile

Tobin

I am at the Ouachita Mountains Biological Station near Big Fork in Polk county.  We have 600 acres of hilly terrain: very rocky.  Seem to be lots of common species; the Caddo mountain salamander is here and redbacks and Ouachita duskies are abundant.  Bronze frogs seem to be our most noticeable frog.  Jo-Ann

That is a neat place. I Herped there years ago with some of Dr. Trauth's students. We found a lot of dusky sallies.

I'd be down for June, but I too am headed to will be headed to west Texas. I'm down for any others though.

I would like to make the Cossatot River survey in June.  Please keep me posted.
Ed

Ed Black

I'm not sure when we will get up there for sure. A new job has changed my work schedule a bit, so I may or may not be able to make it.