Topic: Wild Striped Copperhead

Last night I was taking my dogs out for their evening relief, and as we were headed off to the side yard under some big cedar trees I saw one of them step over and then on what I thought was some kind of slug. On closer inspection, I realized it was no slug! And, despite being basically stepped on by a big hairy thing, it didn't attempt to defend itself.

So, after years and years of herping, I find my first ever wild mutant, and it's right freaking outside my house.

At this point I'm going to hang on to it and see if I can elicit a feeding response. It being under the cedars reminded me of the weird phenomenon in Yellville or thereabouts some years back when a guy had tons of copperheads appearing to congregate under and around some cedar trees behind his house. I think the working hypothesis at the time was that they were hunting cicadas? So I'm curious if that's what this little guy/gal was doing.

I'll go out over the next few evenings and see if he/she has any siblings. Based on its size though, I'm guessing it was last year's baby. I'd love to find mom and see what she looks like!

Post's attachments

IMG_4600.JPG 1.83 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Chance Duncan
Atkins High School Biological Sciences
Central Director, Arkansas Science Teachers Association
479-477-0434

Re: Wild Striped Copperhead

Wow, cool find!  Good luck with the family reunion!

Funny you mention those congregations near Yellville...has anyone heard any more about that?  I have to think there's a large commonly-used
hibernaculum in the area that they've so far missed finding the entrance to.  I hope they leave it alone, if they ever find it...obviously many lives
depend on it.