Topic: 9 foot 1 inch 97 pound Diamondback Rattlesnake KILLED

This picture is floating around the internet and the funny thing is my Doctor I went and seen today about my Venomous Snake bite, actually pulled me into his personal office and showed me this picture a friend sent him.  And then he forwarded me the picture.  So Im now sharing it with you guys.  This thing is a monster.

97 POUNDS.  9 FOOT 1 INCH LONG.  Sad thing is the guy that found it KILLED it.  GRRR

[url=http://imageshack.ushttp://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4810/00000000000000000000ox1.jpg[/url]

Re: 9 foot 1 inch 97 pound Diamondback Rattlesnake KILLED

I deleted the double posting from the News forum because this is neither news nor an announcement..... but it does belong in the stories/rumor forum. This photo has many similarities to other monster snake photos circulating the internet. Firstly, I dont know anyone who can hold 97lbs at the end of a set of tongs with barely any strain at all on their elbows and none on their face.  Second, the snake is being held out to the camera to make it appear larger.
I'm not sure what the record for a rattlesnake is but it seems 9ft would be a pretty significant find.  Third, that man would have to be something like 7 ft tall to have a 9 ft snake held in front of him to that proportion and he looks to be a pretty short feller in the picture.

I'm sorry Reptilz but I think you've been hoodwinked.

Its all about perspective.  Hold something close to the camera while you are 3-4 feet away and anything will look huge.  Its an old fishing trick.

Van

I think that pic was on Snopes.com as well for a big sham..Like Mystic and Van said its photo perspective.  Anything looks larger in the foreground in opposition to whats in the background.

Still it WAS an impressive rattler.

I'm about to have an abruptly.

LMFAO... that picture has been around awhile now.. the rattler was 5 feet long and confirmed as the guy had it mounted... That had to be three years or so ago if not more.

Scott Bice

I think one can easily dismiss the "97 pound" claim on the basis of the picture alone.  The fellow holding the snake doesn't exactly look like Mr. Universe, and the leverage produced by holding 97 pounds on a stick several feet from one's body would multiply that weight several times.

I have had so many family members send that picture to me. Funny thing is it was taken in 4 different locations in Oklahoma and probably twice that many places in Texas. I don't think the same story has been e-mailed to me twice.

Also, I would love to see some snake tongs that could hold 97 pounds without even bending a little.

Either way, as was already said, that was a nice specimen.

Josh Engelbert
Copan, OK

arent most of our biggest snake varieties closer to 5 lbs?

I'd like to have an AHS group picture with a bunch of us holding one of those 97 pound rattlesnakes.. you know, like the big boa/python photos where nineteen people are holding it up and one little guy on the end has his face all distored in stress?

Mystic-B wrote:

arent most of our biggest snake varieties closer to 5 lbs?

Perhaps a more knowledgeable member can verify this, but I seem to recall reading that the Eastern Diamondback is supposedly the heaviest venomous snake in the world, with some specimens weighing in at over 40 pounds.  That's a far cry from 97 pounds but still a **** big snake.

but I seem to recall reading that the Eastern Diamondback is supposedly the heaviest venomous snake in the world, with some specimens weighing in at over 40 pounds.

A 40 pound rattlesnake would be well over 10 feet long. I read an account where a researcher in the Everglades had an individual E. Diamondback that was almost 8 feet long and weigh about 20 pounds. I would guess that the stories you read were also myths.

Josh Engelbert
Copan, OK

but I seem to recall reading that the Eastern Diamondback is supposedly the heaviest venomous snake in the world, with some specimens weighing in at over 40 pounds.

A 40 pound rattlesnake would be well over 10 feet long. I read an account where a researcher in the Everglades had an individual E. Diamondback that was almost 8 feet long and weigh about 20 pounds. I would guess that the stories you read were also myths.

You can find different answers about what is the heaviest venomous snake; some say the E. Diamondback and some say the Gaboon Viper. There is an unconfirmed record of an 8 ft E. Diamondback that weighed 34 pounds, probably a captive specimen. Most are going to be around 4 to 6 ft and may get up to 15 to 20 pounds.

As far as a 97 pound rattlesnake, that's very far-fetched. A 21 ft python (captive) was weighed in at 143 pounds (that's not quite 50 pounds more than the 97 pound myth). We're not going to have any snakes native to North America reach that size.

It's never worth it to communicate with people. --Jacob

The only difference between the government and the mafia is that the government calls its bill collector the “IRS” and the mafia calls its bill collector “Big Louie.” 

NOBAMA:  Keep the change.

yikes no this is real!!!!!!!! i live in bayborow north carolina where it was caught and confirmed! the guy accidently ran over its rattler while mowing the grass! i have seen it personally! its not a phony scam!

I'm first to play, "who wants to beat a dead horse?". LOL

The photo is real. Nobody doubts that. What is not real are the numbers stating the snake is over 9 feet long and 97 pounds.

Josh Engelbert
Copan, OK

Oh Josh, ye of little faith.  tongue

You know better than any one that WDBs can be found throughout the US and get to the size of Great Danes.

Picture is real and is from West Texas (maybe a little farther north). The snake and is dead is a good sized rattlesnake. We can make plenty of guesses of size and weight, but for sure under 6' and less than 10 pounds.

I think I will eat this dead horse, the meat should be good and tender by now.

who would doubt it was real, I mean he was innocently mowing his lawn... look at that picture, isnt that just the best manicured grass you've seen just about anywhere? Completely feesible, you doubters...

I thought this was at ft chaffee here in fort smith?  What is going on here?

Government is not the solution Government is the PROBLEM...Ronald Reagan

You know better than any one that WDBs can be found throughout the US and get to the size of Great Danes.

I always seem to forget that  roll . Thanks for straightening me out,  lol.

I think I will eat this dead horse, the meat should be good and tender by now.

You are assuming that someone isn't using it as bait for the 10', 100# rattlesnake that will turn up next year.

Josh Engelbert
Copan, OK

not to mention there's not a speck of land in north carolina that has land that flat and treeless....

....and there's no western diamondbacks in NC......

....and there may be 1 or 2 eastern diamondbacks still kicking around in NC, but nobody's seen one in years (decades?)....

Van,

I think I remember seeing a EDB about that big in GA.  wink

Glenn, are you sure it was an EDB in GA?... I seem to recall you jumping up and down screaming Timber...Diamondback...Timber...big...big...snake along with some other inaudible sounds. At the time I just thought it was your Terrets kicking in! smile

something similar happened to brad over a snake shed...

two_crotalus wrote:

something similar happened to brad over a snake shed...

HAHA! I think that was Glenn too! haha

-Ryan

Mark 10:27

"Sympathy is no substitute for action." -  David Livingstone

Eh, as you fools get off topic, I was referring to the fine photography skills of some our members. To refresh your memory hunt through the old photos for said GA EDB.

Yes that was me in both instances. At least I was not that close to getting bit.  smile