Topic: Brown snake vs copperhead

My dogs have killed this type of snake on a couple of occasions. I killed this one recently (sorry - we have a copperhead problem and it's baby season) because I wasn't sure what it was. Thanks to your site, I believe I've identified it as a harmless brown snake and won't kill others in the future. Is it a brown snake? This one was smaller than most but same markings. Grey in color with darker markings down both sides of it's back and a cream colored belly. They are usually found in flower beds. Sorry, didn't get a photo until it was several days old and dried up.

As to the copperheads ... we've had too many and are removing the koi pond installed three summers ago. There have been too many in a high traffic area and are too difficult to see to take any chances. One dog has already been bitten and I don't want one of us to be next. They will be having babies soon and I don't want to confuse another snake for a copperhead. Is it true that the babies will have a green or yellow tip on their tail? Is it obvious?

Re: Brown snake vs copperhead

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a photo.

Deb wrote:

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to post a photo.

As a guest, you'll have to use Flickr, PhotoBucket, some other photo-sharing service, or you can email a member and they can post it.  Registered users can attach photos.

Kory Roberts: Email | Facebook | Flickr | YouTube

Deb wrote:

As to the copperheads ... we've had too many and are removing the koi pond installed three summers ago.

The Koi pond shouldn't be a huge attractions for the Copperheads, but it could be for other kinds of snakes.

Deb wrote:

Is it true that the babies will have a green or yellow tip on their tail?

Yes.

Deb wrote:

Is it obvious?

Not always.

Kory Roberts: Email | Facebook | Flickr | YouTube

kaptainkory wrote:
Deb wrote:

As to the copperheads ... we've had too many and are removing the koi pond installed three summers ago.

The Koi pond shouldn't be a huge attractions for the Copperheads, but it could be for other kinds of snakes.

I have caught quite a few copperheads near water. They may stick around koi ponds if there are plenty of frogs around as well.

Richard Butler
www.okherp.com

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, beauty, and stability of the biotic community.  It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold, 1949

That's exactly it - frogs. We are in a rural, wooded area with a small stock pond. The frogs found the koi pond almost within minutes! The snakes eat the frogs and they seem to like the stones and ground cover around the koi pond. That's why it's coming out.

I've learned a lot from various websites including this one and the AG&F site. I'm thankful to be able to find fact based info instead depending on urban legends.

You should be able to control the number of copperheads with some good housekeeping. Keep the area around the koi pond clear of debris. If your koi pond has boulders around it or is landscaped, you are perfectly mimicking their natural habitat. Give them few places to hide, and they will find other areas, although they may return now and then for a meal.

Richard Butler
www.okherp.com

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, beauty, and stability of the biotic community.  It is wrong when it tends otherwise" - Aldo Leopold, 1949