Topic: Black rat snakes are deadly poisonous pet eaters...

...according to a customer I had today.
She was gun shopping... for a snake gun, of course... because a 15 foot ratsnake bit her dog, chased her into the house, then went back and ate her now dead dog...

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Re: Black rat snakes are deadly poisonous pet eaters...

Gee, I know you probably have to be 'nice' to customers and all...that had to be tough!!!   big_smile
On the other hand, is she sane enough to sell a gun to?  (you have my sympathy!)

I've posted here before about it, but when someone tells me they're buying a gun to kill snakes, I end up handing the sale to someone else, which is usually at least once a day, unfortunately. I've tried explaining to people that it's illegal and everything, but nobody cares because "they're too dangerous to have around," regardless of what snake they're seeing. A guy showed me cell phone pics of the "Gardener snake" that tried to attack his kid, too. It was a maybe 10 inch ribbon that he killed.

4 (edited by Crash 2011-03-11 08:34 am)

"You can't fix stupid!!!"
But if you talk to some of them right you can sway them. Sometimes!
I try to offer solutions to snake issues other than killing them. Be it explaining why the snakes would be there (un-mowed grass, clutter, food source, etc...) that the person that is there can do something about. If they live in an area where I know of someone that handles snake removal  I will often pass on contact info also.
Then there are some you just can't get through to. Those I just try to smile and think about using them as feeders!! Or hope that one day they get over run with rats!! >;)

Later John

I used to work with "the public", and like you said Crash, some you can get thru to, and some not!  Actually some of the same public called me six months later to remove a rattlesnake from next to their house, so that was one more that got to live...assuming anyway that they survived in the new location?  Many do not, as they have to learn where to hide from predators & temperature issues (heat and cold), but I like to think that by making sure they were overtly healthy, well fed* & hydrated first that may have tipped the odds in their favor?  (*every summer I laughingly told people I was running a Bed & Breakfast for wayward rattlesnakes, lol...other snakes too of course!  The observation time paid off for the snakes:  one rattlesnake had a horrible case of round worms, but I'll save that story for dinnertime!  ha ha ha!!!)  My boss really "loved it" (NOT!) the day someone brought me a little sidewinder in a sandwich container at work!  Another time someone came in with a big dead lizard to "save"?

I've done lots of public reptile appreciation work and snake relocations back home, but back in CA I never heard stories as far fetched as some of the ones out here... except for the time I got called to collect a 6 foot timber rattler from someones back porch. At least they got the rattlesnake part correct, although it barely broke 3 ft.

mikemike wrote:

I've done lots of public reptile appreciation work and snake relocations back home, but back in CA I never heard stories as far fetched as some of the ones out here... except for the time I got called to collect a 6 foot timber rattler from someones back porch. At least they got the rattlesnake part correct, although it barely broke 3 ft.

I'm an ex-Californian too, and I know what you mean about the size thing:  That 6' diamondback was a 3' (or less) mojave....LOL!  But I agree, this area perhaps has even more ignorance....sad to say!

I'm from Northern CA. Only northern pacifics for hundreds of miles. haha.
At least Atrox and scutes can be really easy to confuse.

I'm from Southern CA...with 5 kinds of rattlesnakes in the vicinity.  I don't fault any non-herper for confusing kinds of rattlesnakes, but 3' does not pass for 6', ever!  LOL!  (and atrox were not really local)
It was always sad how many gopher snakes were killed too...for "rattling" their tails in the dry brush!   That reminds me of one of my favorite "dumb California-local tales":  that rattlesnakes were cross-breeding with 'other' snakes (-most people didn't even want to call ANY snake "harmless"?) and all were becoming venomous!

Any of y'all ex-Californians heard any 'ground rattler' stories yet? (Midland Brown, juvie rat, hognose, earth snakes) roll

"...be as wise as serpents..."  Matthew 10:16
"...I just thought that should be brung out"  ~Goober (on 'The Andy Griffith Show')

prof.dave wrote:

Any of y'all ex-Californians heard any 'ground rattler' stories yet? (Midland Brown, juvie rat, hognose, earth snakes) roll

Nope?  do tell....?

caro wrote:
prof.dave wrote:

Nope?  do tell....?

Because Western Pygmies have such tiny rattles, this led to the misconception years ago, that there was a rattle-less rattlesnake: the ground rattler yikes -small, but 'they'll kill you quicker than the big rattlers!' Any small, unidentified snake would be killed and ID'ed as a ground rattler. The snakes I mentioned are the most common 'ground rattlers' that I've seen people kill.  In 1964, my dad and I saw (I'm pretty sure) a young rat snake and my dad killed it and threw it in our 'burning barrel'  He said it was 'some kind of rattlesnake'  I was 7 but I thought it was odd that it didn't have rattles!

"...I just thought that should be brung out"  ~Goober (on 'The Andy Griffith Show')

prof.dave wrote:

...this led to the misconception years ago, that there was a rattle-less rattlesnake

But, of course, there IS a rattleless rattlesnake, too.   cool

Kory Roberts: Email | Facebook | Flickr | YouTube

The atrox I found on the way to the fall field trip was rattleless, but obviously not genetic. Its rattle was completely broken off at the base though. It must have been a fresh break, because it had to have happened after its last shed.

kaptainkory wrote:
prof.dave wrote:

...this led to the misconception years ago, that there was a rattle-less rattlesnake

Yup. C. catalinensis.

mikemike wrote:

The atrox I found on the way to the fall field trip was rattleless, but obviously not genetic. Its rattle was completely broken off at the base though. It must have been a fresh break, because it had to have happened after its last shed.

kaptainkory wrote:
prof.dave wrote:

Yup. C. catalinensis.

I didn't know!  I thought y'all were in on a private joke about a rattle that was bit off by a cat or something.  However, I shall never mention the rattle-less Catalina Island rattlesnake to any South Arkansas folks!  ("Get the hoe, Pap-paw!  I just seen one of them Cat Island rattlers!") roll

Also, when rattlesnakes are born, they have only the 'button' and can't really make noise until they shed and add segments...

I'm not sure the rattle is helping them anymore?  Since so many people kill them...wouldn't surprise me if more evolve to be rattle-less???