Topic: AHS Spring trip-Cane Creek State Park, Star City, AR. April 27-29

Field Trip Details:

Who:

AHS field trips are open to members and nonmembers alike.  If you are interested in finding herps in the wild and meeting with others who like to do the same, you are invited and encouraged to join us.

What:

It's a field trip!  AHS field trips are a fun experience if you have never attended one.  Our ranks include newbies, hobbyists, graduate students, science professionals, and even youngsters (our "herpetologists in training").  We share a family-like camaraderie and welcome newcomers with open arms.

When:

April 27-29, 2012.  What most people will do is arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday mid-morning.  Most of the field herping will happen on Saturday, and as long as there is not a burn ban, we usually have a large campfire Saturday night. We also try and "road cruise" for herps on Friday and Saturday evening.

Where: 

Cane Creek State Park, Star City, Arkansas. This park has over 2000 acres of forests and swamps, plus the 1,675 acre Cane Creeek lake. There is also public land available at Seven Devil's swamp WMA, Cut-off Creek WMA, Hall Creek Barrens Natural Area and Kingsland Prairie NA.

Web links:

http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/canecreek/
http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/wmaDe … x?show=570
http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/wmaDe … x?show=138
http://www.naturalheritage.com/natural- … k-barrens/
http://www.naturalheritage.com/natural- … d-prairie/

Directions:

From the north, take Interstate 530 and exit onto US Highway 425 at Pine Bluff, and travel south to Star City. Go south of Star City, and turn left on state highway 293. Travel five miles east on Ark. 293 to the park. From the south, take US 425 north to state highway 293 and turn right.

Cost:

The AHS does not require dues for membership. A primitive group camp area has been provided for us, free of charge. The fee was waived in exchange for us performing a herpetological survey of the park.

Food:

Whatever you choose to bring. You will be responsable for bringing your own provisions. There are a few restaraunts in Star City as well.

Suggested Provisions and Supplies:

* Blaze orange hunting vest
* Camera
* Camping gear
* Camp chairs
* Cold gear
* Food and drink
* GPS
* Herp collecting equipmen
* Rain gear
* Waders

Contacts:

Tobin: frogman1975@yahoo.com.
Josh: okieherper@yahoo.com
This field trip will NOT be canceled due to weather.

"Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land".-Aldo Leopold

Re: AHS Spring trip-Cane Creek State Park, Star City, AR. April 27-29

sounds fun!

Ever wonder why conservatives are called the right and liberals are called the left?

Ecclesiates 10:2

Can't wait!

Lincoln county is one of the most poorly surveyed counties in southern Arkansas, so I hope we can add many new species to the list. I am working on getting us a permit to seine and trap in the park.

Tobin

I'll see if I can swing this one, really enjoyed the last outing. smile

I'm about to have an abruptly.

Yeah Court- this one will be in the delta...FLAT COUNTRY!   I'm all for that this go round myself!

Government is not the solution Government is the PROBLEM...Ronald Reagan

WIMPS!  tongue

Ever wonder why conservatives are called the right and liberals are called the left?

Yesterday, Kim, Manning and I met with Geoff to scout the park for good spots. After seeing the areas myself, I am very encouraged about this trip. There are several old house sites and tons of logs to flip. There are a few small temporary ponds that should be good for amphibians. Geoff has seen timber rattlers just a short distance from our campground and Geoff found a Pygmy rattler in the same area. Our camp area is open and has a pond and plenty of good habitat in the immediate vacinity.

Tobin

Cool!

I am interested in going to this. My little girl loves catching frogs and iding with her momma:) Is this truely a good site for kids to tag along?

Yes, we are very family friendly. Several of our active members have young children that come along on our field outings. They can really learn a lot by being in the field with amateur and semi-professional herpetologists. Cane creek is a flat area and there will not be any strenuous hiking to get to our target areas. Plus we should find plenty of frogs.  smile

Tobin

Sorry I will not be able to attend due to a prior commitment.  Hope everyone has a safe and productive trip.

Ed Black

I spoke with Geoff today and he says he will have us a supply of firewood ready for us Friday. For those of you that plan on arriving early, go to the visitor center and Geoff will show you where our camp area is. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post them here or PM me.

Tobin

As far as I know, Brad, Reagan, and I are leaving early Friday morning from Mountainburg so we should be arriving pretty early in the day. It's about 3.5 hours for us, but add walmart stops, pee stops, possible herping stops, we'll see ya when we see ya. Haha